Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 6

Bratislava. Before coming here, I had pictured Bratislava to be a pretty poor place and was prepared to deal with beggers and stuff. How wrong I was. Its certainly no bustling metropolitan, but Bratislava is definitely progressing, and likes to be known as a Little Big City. Streets are clean and people are dressed really fashionably. No doubt, this might only be the case as it is the capital , and the rest of Slovakia may not be as progressive.

Went for lunch at this place the tourist office recommanded. I ordered some dumplings with smoked cheese thing, which I thought would be something like the vagdult I had previously in Budapest. Well, the dumplinds were similar but it was just way too cheesey for me.



After that went for the free walking tour. It was quite interesting to know for example, that Bratislava was once part of Hungary, explaining their rivarly to this day and that Slovakia was once part of Czech, which was way I found the language famaliar. Other than these however, the tour was pretty dull.

Went into another slovakian eatery and I must say its quite fun to order food which you have no idea what would arriveat your table. I tried to ask the waitress some dishes, but not being able to understand her, I gave up and just pointed at something on the menu. What arrived was good though. Duck with salted veggie and ginger bread ? quite a combination but definitely nicer than what I had for lunch. Took the bus back to Budepast after that.



I have thouroghly enjoyed the past 6 days in Eastern Europe. I definitely want to come back here one day more than anywhere else in Europe and see more of it other than the big cities. 20 years is not a very long time and they are still trying to shake off communistic behaviour like strong bureaucracy in Hungary, but the change should still not be scoffed at.

No comments:

Post a Comment